Virus Attacks - How to avoid them...
Virus Attacks and how to avoid them!
Computer viruses are created to cause a nuisance, or damage computer systems and the data they hold. Viruses are programs that can replicate themselves, spreading from computer to computer. These days, they are usually activated when the unsuspecting recipient opens an attachment sent with an email program.
Viruses look harmless on the outside but can do real damage if you let them into your system. A virus may have the appearance of a game for instance, but may also install spyware or adware, which may then open a backdoor on a computer allowing an intruder to connect without your knowledge or consent.
How does it affect me? As more and more businesses have increased their productivity by using networks and high-speed Internet connections, viruses have become the most prolific and costly security issue facing small to medium sized businesses.
Viruses will be used as delivery mechanisms for hacking tools, putting the security of your organization at risk, even though a firewall may be installed.
The downtime for your company, as a result of data loss, can drastically influence your company's long-term success. And if you are only a smaller company, this could mean the difference between having a business and going bust.
- Introduce virus-checking software as most anti-virus vendors offer solutions that can protect against this sort of virus.
- Use a properly configured firewall between your office systems and the Internet.
- Do not open ‘suspicious’ e-mails – especially those with attachments.
- Only enable preview panes once you have removed all suspect emails.
- Have a clear IT policy for acceptable use of business systems, websites and email. Refer to this policy in employment contracts and provide training for procedures.
Source: E-Crime Wales (http://www.ecrimewales.com/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.32)